Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Cite This Page
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Chapter 9 Summary Page 1
Grandpa Joe Takes a Gamble
- After school the next day, Grandpa Joe is the only grandparent awake. Good thing, too, because he has a secret he wants to share with Charlie.
- From under his pillow, he takes a sixpence piece (a coin) he's been saving. He tells Charlie that he wants him to buy one more chocolate bar with it – maybe this will be their lucky day.
- Charlie is hesitant, but he does what his grandpa says: he runs to the store to buy the chocolate and returns with it.
- After some hemming and hawing over who would open it, Grandpa Joe finally does and... nothing, once again.
- They both realize how silly they've been to think they'd find the ticket and they start cracking up, waking up Grandma Josephine and ending their little adventure.
- At least they have a sense of humor about it.