Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
by Roald Dahl
Mr. Bucket Timeline and Summary
- Mr. Bucket, we learn, is the son of Grandpa Joe and Grandma Josephine, and the father of Charlie.
- He works hard as a toothpaste cap-screwer, but doesn't make a lot of money.
- One day, when he comes home to work, he's carrying a newspaper, which has a headline saying that Willy Wonka is going to give a tour of his exclusive factory to five lucky children. He reads the article aloud to his family.
- On Charlie's birthday, his father watches as Charlie's annual chocolate bar comes up empty Golden-Ticket wise.
- Two weeks later, we learn that Mr. Bucket has lost his job at the toothpaste factory, and now shovels snow. He's making even less money than before.
- When Charlie wins the Golden Ticket, Mr. Bucket insists that his father go with Charlie on the tour.
- Much later, after Charlie wins ownership of Mr. Wonka's factory, Mr. Bucket gets in the glass elevator with the rest of the family to go visit their new digs.