Veruca Salt Timeline and Summary
- Veruca is the second kid to find a Golden Ticket, and it's because her dad bought all the chocolate he could get his hands on and made his employees unwrap it for her.
- At the factory, she shows up in a silver mink coat, and quickly begins demanding things.
- First, she demands that her father get her an Oompa-Loompa, which her father promises he'll get. Right away, Veruca.
- Then, she wants her dad to get her a "big pink boiled-sweet boat exactly like Mr. Wonka's" (18.9). Plus more Oompa-Loompas to do the rowing and a chocolate river to row on: the whole nine yards.
- Later, after a few minor arguments and bratty moments, she declares she simply has to have one of Mr. Wonka's trained squirrels. No dice, says Mr. Wonka.
- So Veruca tries to get one herself and ends up fighting off a whole slew of squirrels that are trying to test whether or not she's a bad nut (she is).
- The squirrels drag her to the trash chute, where she promptly disappears, only to reappear toward the end of the book, covered in trash but very much alive.