by E. B. White
Wilbur Timeline and Summary
- Wilbur is born in the spring. He's the runt of the litter, so Papa Arable wants to kill him. Fern saves Wilbur's life, vowing to take care of him herself. After all, he's a cute little piggy.
- When Wilbur gets a bit bigger, Fern sells him to her Uncle Homer Zuckerman. So Wilbur moves to the Zuckerman farm where he meets lots of new friends, including a spider named Charlotte.
- One day, the wise old sheep tells Wilbur some super scary news: the Zuckermans are planning to eat him one day. Yowza!
- Wilbur doesn't want to die, so he panics and cries a lot.
- Happily, Charlotte says she'll help the pig out.
- After Charlotte has written "SOME PIG!" in the web, everyone starts to admire Wilbur.
- He's totally loving the attention.
- Wilbur keeps grinning for his many fans when Charlotte writes "TERRIFIC" and "RADIANT" in the web.
- In September, the Zuckermans take Wilbur to the County Fair, where he wins a special prize, so yay!
- But at the fair Wilbur learns that Charlotte is dying, so boo. Major boo.
- He vows to bring her egg sac back to the farm and keep it safe.
- Back at the farm, Wilbur takes care of the egg sac until hundreds of spiders hatch.
- Most fly away, but a few stay and become Wilbur's new friends.
- Every year, Wilbur gets new spider friends when his old friends die.
- And that's how he lives out the rest of his days.