The Cherry Orchard
Lubov Andreyevna Ranevskaya Timeline and Summary
- Lubov returns to her childhood home in Russia after five years in Paris. She was involved there with a man who bled her dry financially, then cheated on her.
- She learns from Lopakhin that the estate will be sold in three months. She and her brother Gaev reject Lopakhin's suggestion of turning the orchard into vacation lots.
- Lubov sees Trofimov, her son's old tutor, and is reminded of Grisha's death.
- In the second act, Lubov still refuses to come up with a plan for the estate. She continues to spend money unwisely.
- The third act finds Lubov waiting anxiously for the result of the auction. Gaev's been sent with far too little money.
- She learns that Lopakhin has bought the estate. She is crushed.
- In Act 4, Lubov is leaving home again, with the intention of returning to her lover in Paris.