The Chocolate War
Cite This Page
Jerry Renault Timeline and Summary
- Jerry attends football tryout practice and gets roughed up.
- After he runs into a hippy/flower child/drifter guy, he begins questioning his ordered routine.
- Jerry looks on, powerlessly, as Brother Leon tortures Gregory Bailey with his words and his teacher pointer.
- Jerry comes to the conclusion that his father leads a dry, boring life. He vows not to turn out the same way.
- Jerry is summoned to appear before The Vigils. Shortly thereafter, he completes his assignment, refusing to sell chocolates for ten days.
- When the ten days are up, Jerry continues to refuse to sell chocolates.
- Jerry is again summoned to appear before The Vigils. They try to pressure him into selling chocolates, but won't agree.
- Jerry realizes that some guys on the football team actually want to kill him, or at least hurt him really badly.
- At home, he starts getting prank calls, and his locker is vandalized. He realizes that somebody is really out to get him.
- Soon after, Jerry is brutally attacked by Emile Janza and ten other guys.
- That night, he considers asking his dad to help him, but decides against it.
- Somebody tries to push him down the stairs at school. Hostilities against him increase.
- Finally, Jerry attends the raffle/boxing match, tempted by thoughts of revenge, and is brutally beaten by Emile Janza, once again.
- The fight ends when the stadium lights are turned off.
- Jerry decides that defiance isn't worth the pain and waits for the ambulance with The Goober.