City of Bones
by Cassandra Clare
City of Bones Chapter 12 Summary
How It All Goes Down
Dead Man's Party
- Outside Magnus's apartment, Clary and crew check out some hot vampire rides—weird organic motorcycles, which Clary describes as looking like "bio-creatures in a Giger painting" (12.20).
- Jace seems to be up to something fishy, but Clary's not sure what.
- They press the buzzer marked BANE near the apartment door until someone answers.
- Magnus Bane doesn't look like we would picture the Head Warlock of Brooklyn to look. He's thin, black hair, jeans, blue lipstick, and a glittery party mask. We were expecting someone a bit more… imposing.
- Clary and friends follow Magnus up the stairs to his loft, where the party is raging.
- So many strange multi-colored (and multi-limbed) people are gyrating around inside, it feels like they've walked into the Mos Eisley Cantina.
- Before Clary can even get herself situated, she sees Simon and Isabelle doing some dirty dancing on the dance floor and starts fuming with silent jealousy.
- Jace tries to strike up a conversation with Magnus about the block on Clary's brain, but he's interrupted by a vampire who's having a fit about his bio-bike being melted with holy water.
- Ah, the old sugar in the gas tank ruse. Except, you know, with holy water.
- Thankfully, the angry vamp gets magically ejected from the apartment by Magnus before he can cause any trouble.
- Magnus decides to talk to Jace only after Jace threatens him with a visit from the Silent City.
- He reveals that yes, he did put a block on Clary's mind, but only at the request of—wait for it—her mother.
- Dun dun dun. Aaaand scene.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...