City of Bones
by Cassandra Clare
City of Bones Chapter 16 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Bruised and bloody, Jace, Simon, and Clary return to the Institute and Hodge, furious at Jace's irresponsible behavior.
- Clary somehow escaped with the fewest and least severe injuries of the three of them.
- When she visits Simon in the infirmary, he gives her a light kiss on the cheek, which surprises her.
- Before Clary can return to her room, Alec stops her and confronts her.
- He wants her to leave the Institute, because he thinks Clary makes Jace act recklessly, which puts his life in danger. The dude's not entirely wrong.
- The two of them have a heated argument, which ends with Clary calling out Alec on his secret love for Jace.
- "She could see how she was hurting him, and it made her glad" (16.46). Clary, that's not very nice.
- He decides to hurt her, too. "Don't you ever […] say anything like that to him or I'll kill you" (16.47). Then he grabs her arms so hard it hurts her.
- After gripping her for only a second or two, he lets go and staggers away.
- Clary spends the rest of the chapter drawing to take her mind off things, and chatting and telling jokes with Simon after he gets released from the infirmary.
- Later that night, she gets a visit from Jace, who wants to take her on a surprise late-night picnic.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...