City of Bones
by Cassandra Clare
City of Bones Chapter 17 Summary
How It All Goes Down
The Midnight Flower
- Jace and Clary bond over cheese sandwiches and apples.
- Sorry we can't provide you with a picnic lunch, but if you pop over to Jace's character page for a bit, you can learn the secrets he shared with Clary.
- Not only does Jace give Clary a rock (not a diamond, but a witchlight stone, which is a rock that glows), he also gives her quite a kiss.
- They've been eating apples, so Jace tastes of the sweet, classically forbidden fruit.
- He escorts her back to her room, giving her another goodbye kiss at the threshold.
- At that moment, Simon opens the door and catches them in the act.
- Surprise, surprise, this causes all sorts of jealous tensions to flare up and ignite.
- As the fires simmer down, Simon tells Clary, "I've been in love with you for ten years" (17.130).
- Then, just to drive his heartbreak home, he tells her "[Your mom] said you'd break my heart" (17.135).
- Clary throws herself a little pity party that night. She feels that she's being punished for her selfishness.
- She turns to her sketchbook to relieve her stress.
- As her mind races, she idly scribbles some runes into the corner of one of her drawings.
- The magic in the runes brings the drawing to life and gives Clary an idea.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...