City of Bones
City of Bones Chapter 18 Summary
How It All Goes Down
The Mortal Cup
- This chapter starts off a little different, with our narrator focusing on Jace's P.O.V. for the first few pages.
- We get clued in on his thoughts on Clary. It's no surprise to anyone to discover that he kinda likes her and thinks she's pretty. Hence that whole kissing thing.
- And speak of the devil. Clary interrupts his brooding by busting in and telling him her a-ha moment: her mother hid the Mortal Cup inside a painting.
- She knows which one, too—the Ace of Cups in Madame Dorothea's hand-painted Tarot card deck.
- Jace wrangles Isabelle and Alec into what we'll call Operation: Collect the Cup, and Clary recruits Simon to be their getaway driver.
- After getting armed and getting runes on their arms, the young Shadowhunter posse is ready to roll.
- They arrive at Madame Dorothea's without any incident. Well, without any demon-related incident. The van ride is a little tense with all the little sparks of jealousy still flickering among Simon, Jace, and Clary, but at least no one gets hurt. Physically.
- Madame Dorothea's apartment is unchanged since their last visit, when Clary escaped through the hidden Portal.
- Clary convinces Madame Dorothea, whom Jace now calls Lady of the Haven, to let her shuffle through the Tarot deck for the Ace of Cups.
- Once she locates it, she traces the runes on the back with Jace's stele. The painting changes, and the hand grasping the Cup in the picture releases its grip.
- After Clary reaches inside the card and retrieves the Cup, the card disintegrates into ashes.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Here Be Monsters! An Adventure Involving Magic, Trolls, and Other Creatures; The Ratbridge Chronicles Volume 1 - Learning Guide
Noodle's College Search