City of Bones
by Cassandra Clare
City of Bones Chapter 18 Summary
How It All Goes Down
The Mortal Cup
- This chapter starts off a little different, with our narrator focusing on Jace's P.O.V. for the first few pages.
- We get clued in on his thoughts on Clary. It's no surprise to anyone to discover that he kinda likes her and thinks she's pretty. Hence that whole kissing thing.
- And speak of the devil. Clary interrupts his brooding by busting in and telling him her a-ha moment: her mother hid the Mortal Cup inside a painting.
- She knows which one, too—the Ace of Cups in Madame Dorothea's hand-painted Tarot card deck.
- Jace wrangles Isabelle and Alec into what we'll call Operation: Collect the Cup, and Clary recruits Simon to be their getaway driver.
- After getting armed and getting runes on their arms, the young Shadowhunter posse is ready to roll.
- They arrive at Madame Dorothea's without any incident. Well, without any demon-related incident. The van ride is a little tense with all the little sparks of jealousy still flickering among Simon, Jace, and Clary, but at least no one gets hurt. Physically.
- Madame Dorothea's apartment is unchanged since their last visit, when Clary escaped through the hidden Portal.
- Clary convinces Madame Dorothea, whom Jace now calls Lady of the Haven, to let her shuffle through the Tarot deck for the Ace of Cups.
- Once she locates it, she traces the runes on the back with Jace's stele. The painting changes, and the hand grasping the Cup in the picture releases its grip.
- After Clary reaches inside the card and retrieves the Cup, the card disintegrates into ashes.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...