City of Bones
City of Bones Chapter 21 Summary
How It All Goes Down
The Werewolf's Tale
- Part Three is called "The Descent Beckons." Dun dun dun.
- This is different. This entire chapter is told first person from Luke's perspective. After all, he's the werewolf with a tale to tell.
- For the real lowdown, you should definitely check out this chapter for yourself, but we'll go ahead and give you the highlights.
- Luke and Jocelyn, Clary's mother, grew up in Idris, the Shadowhunters' home country.
- Valentine Morgenstern (we think this is the least intimidating villain name ever) was rich and popular and handsome and everyone there was just like ZOMG wow all over him—including Jocelyn, who married the guy.
- That is, until werewolves killed his father and he decided that he should just wipe out all Downworlders to make the world a purer place.
- He also wanted Luke to kill himself after he was bitten by a werewolf and contracted lycanthropy.
- Obviously he didn't kill himself. Instead, he found a wolf clan, killed its leader (like you do), and became its alpha male.
- One day, Jocelyn found Luke's clan. She had run away from Valentine's Circle because they had aligned with demons to gain the upper hand in their war against Downworlders.
- That was the last straw for her, so she took her child, a boy named Jonathan Christopher, and escaped.
- With Jocelyn's help, Luke's werewolves helped put a stop to the Circle's violent attack at the Peace Accords, but not without significant casualties.
- During the fracas, Valentine fled with Jocelyn in tow, the kidnapping jerk.
- Luke found her later near her home, which had been burned to the ground with her parents and her young son inside.
- She was pregnant with another child, so she fled Idris never to return.
- Before she boarded her plane, she told Luke, "Valentine is not dead" (21.44).
- Years passed. Luke wandered America aimlessly, until one day he came across some of Jocelyn's artwork in a gallery in SoHo and came back into her life, meeting her daughter, Clary, for the first time.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search