City of Bones
by Cassandra Clare
City of Bones Chapter 4 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Clary gets home to find her apartment ripped to shreds, and no sign of her mother.
- As if that weren't trouble enough, she's not alone. A slithery demon, "like a cross between an alligator and a centipede," attacks her.
- After a struggle, Clary shoves Jace's sensor down the monster's throat. It seems to choke on it and die.
- Covered in the beast's acidic drool, which burns her skin, Clary crawls for the door. But before she can get there, something clocks her in the back of the head and she faints.
- To be fair, we would have fainted when we saw the thing. Heck, we faint at the sight of just a regular centipede, so kudos, Clary for staying conscious, at least for a little while.
- She wakes up in the grass with Jace watching over her. He killed the demon while she was knocked out.
- Jace tells Clary that she needs to come with him so that she can be cured of the Ravener demon poison inside her. Oh so that's what that burning drool is.
- To hide her from sight, he Marks her with a rune using his stele, which looks like a metal magician's wand.
- With Clary protected, Jace scoops her up in his arms and carries her away.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...