City of Bones
Cite This Page
City of Bones Chapter 8 Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
Weapon of Choice
- Madame Dorothea's Portal dumps Clary on the other side of the fence from Luke's home/bookshop, Garroway Books. Phew. Thank goodness she didn't end up on the Planet Krypton or anything.
- Jace plops down on top of Clary. Once they untangle themselves, he tells us that Portals don't have a set end point; they go wherever the traveler has on her mind.
- Deducing that Luke isn't home, Jace hops the fence... and lands on someone on the other side.
- Simon had been hiding in Luke's bushes, watching what Luke was up to because he (Simon) thought he (Luke) was acting suspicious.
- Looks like Simon saw Luke packing a duffel bag full of glowing weapons. And Simon thought that was strange. Wait. Don't all booksellers tote around an arsenal of glow-in-the-dark swords? Oh wait, that's librarians.
- Clary and Jace fill Simon in on all the complicated Shadowhunter business that Clary's had to learn over the last six chapters. So Simon's got a bit of catching up to do.
- Simon's reaction? "It's like Dungeons and Dragons, but real" (8.76). All caught up, it seems.
- Jace has no clue what D&D is. Hmm, maybe they can find a D&D Player's Handbook in Luke's bookshop. Jace pries the lock with his magical stele and in they go.
- It's dark inside, but Jace uses a little glowy stone called a witchlight to illuminate the room.
- It also illuminates a bloody pair of manacles on the wall. What the heck kind of bookstore is this?
- They also find Luke's sack o' weapons. What could his weapon of choice be? Well, he could go with this, or he could go with that…
- Unexpected visitors arrive before they can investigate further, so they hide behind a screen.
- Jace's stele is able to cut a little one-way glass into the screen so they can watch like they're police detectives secretly observing an interrogation.
- And that's kind of what happens when two warlocks named Blackwell and Pangborn intimidate Luke, trying to extract info about the Mortal Cup.
- During their gab session, we learn that Clary's mother is still alive, and that Luke's real name is Lucian Graymark and he might not be entirely human himself.
- Oh, and those two warlocks, Blackwell and Pangborn?
- They're the ones who killed Jace's father.