A Clean, Well-Lighted Place
The Old Man Timeline and Summary
- The old man sits alone at the café, getting drunk, and feeling the silence.
- He taps his glass to summon one of the waiters; the younger waiter goes over and the old man asks for another brandy.
- We're not sure how much the old man understands of what the younger waiter says, since he is deaf.
- The younger waiter pours another glass of brandy, and the old man asks him to top off his glass.
- The old man thanks the waiter. The two waiters watch him from the café, noticing that he drinks without spilling a drop, even when he's drunk.
- The old man looks away for a moment, then asks for another brandy. When the younger waiter refuses and says they're closing up, the old man gets up, carefully pays, and walks away.