Discussion & Essay Questions
Available to teachers only as part of the Teaching Colonial VirginiaTeacher Pass
Teaching Colonial Virginia Teacher Pass includes:
- Assignments & Activities
- Reading Quizzes
- Current Events & Pop Culture articles
- Discussion & Essay Questions
- Challenges & Opportunities
- Related Readings in Literature & History
Sample of Discussion & Essay Questions
- Is it possible to reconcile Virginians' political and racial views—their defense of political self-government and their enslavement of a quarter million people?
- Were Virginians simply hypocrites?
- Or is there a way to intellectually reconcile the two positions?
- How about their dedication to refinement and their violent practices and entertainments?
- Are these contradictory?
- Or are they in some way reconcilable?
- Think about the great Virginia leaders: Washington, Jefferson, Madison
- Which Virginia do they represent?
- Do these men reflect Virginia's racism as well as its political progressivism?
- Its refinement as well as its violence?