The Color Purple
by Alice Walker
The Color Purple Letter Seventeen Summary
- Harpo is still in love, but the girl’s father doesn’t approve of him. The man says that Harpo isn’t good enough. It’s all because Harpo’s mom was murdered.
- Harpo watched his mom’s boyfriend kill her. He has nightmares about it.
- Celie is good to Mr.__’s children, but she doesn’t love them.
- Harpo tells Celie all about the girl he likes, Sofia Butler. Harpo has also gotten Sofia pregnant.
- Sofia comes over to meet Mr.__. She’s about eight months pregnant. She looks like a big, thick girl.
- Mr.__ insults the girl, saying that she’s probably got her "legs open to every Tom, Dick, and Harry," meaning he doesn’t want to believe Sofia is carrying Harpo’s baby.
- Harpo doesn’t defend Sofia.
- Sofia realizes that Harpo is still too dependent on his father. She leaves, saying that when Harpo is ready to be a man, she and the baby will be waiting.
- Sofia’s father has kicked her out, but she’s living with her sister and brother-in-law.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...