The Color Purple
The Color Purple Letter Thirty-Five Summary
- Mr.__ and Shug sleep together just about every night.
- Shug asks if Celie cares that she and Albert sleep together. Celie doesn’t really care, but she doesn’t say that.
- Celie asks if Shug loves, Mr.__ and Shug says she has "passion" – not love – for him. She can’t really love him, it seems, because he’s weak and indecisive.
- Celie asks if Shug likes sleeping with Mr.__ and Shug admits that she does. In fact, Shug says, "Don’t you?"
- When Celie admits that she has never enjoyed sex, that it feels just like Mr.__ gets on top of her and goes to the bathroom on her, Shug says that Celie is a virgin.
- Shug tells Celie that sex can feel really good. Then she gives Celie a mirror and tells her to look at her own vagina.
- Shug guards the door while Celie checks herself out. Shug directs Celie to look at her "button" (clitoris) and her "titties" too.
- Celie tells Shug she doesn’t mind if Shug and Mr.__ sleep together. But, Celie does mind, not because she wants to sleep with Mr.__ herself, but we suspect it’s she wants to sleep with Shug herself.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search