The Color Purple
The Color Purple Letter Forty-One Summary
- The warden recognizes the Hodges in Squeak, but he doesn’t approve.
- Squeak tells the warden about how Sofia is happy in jail because doing laundry is just like she always does at home with her six children; it’s not much of a punishment.
- Warden Hodges asks Squeak who her parents are. She says she has no father. The warden, however, recognizes her.
- He beats Squeak up and then rapes her. He tells her that proves he isn’t her uncle – why would he rape her if she was his niece? (Maybe because he’s a d--k.)
- When she gets home and relates the incident, she also tells Harpo to stop calling her "Squeak" because her name is Mary Agnes.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search