The Color Purple
The Color Purple Letter Sixty-Five Summary
- A letter from Nettie.
- The road has reached the Olinka village, and the villagers assume that the road is for them and hold a celebration feast.
- Turns out, though, that the road isn’t done yet and is supposed to continue right through the village, and right through Catherine’s field.
- The villagers are really mad, but the road builders have guns and are supposed to shoot if the villagers resist.
- The church, school, and missionary huts were torn down within hours to make way for the road.
- The Olinka chief sets out to complain and try to get reparations. However, all he returns with is bad news: the Olinka village and the surrounding area now belongs to an English rubber manufacturing company.
- The Olinka now have to pay rent to live in their village and pay a tax to use the water.
- The villagers have rebuilt the school, church, and destroyed huts and are waiting to see what will happen now.
- Corrine is sick with a fever.
- More women are now sending their daughters to school.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search