The Color Purple
The Color Purple Letter Seventy-Four Summary
- Sofia worked for the Mayor’s wife for eleven and a half years. She has finally come back home and her kids don’t know how to treat her; she’s a stranger to them. Sofia’s oldest children have even gotten married already.
- Harpo, Sofia’s actual husband, and Harpo’s girlfriend seem like an old married couple because they’ve been together since before Sofia was in jail.
- Sofia’s children even call Odessa, Sofia’s sister, "Mama" and call Mary Agnes "little mama." So it seems like there isn’t much of a place for Sofia.
- Over dinner at Odessa’s house, Shug announces that she and Grady leaving and they’re taking Celie with them to Tennessee.
- Mr.__ can’t believe his what he hears. Shug has to repeat it over and over again.
- Mr.__ doesn’t understand why Celie is leaving.
- Celie finally lets Mr.__ have it. She calls him a "lowdown dog" and accuses him of keeping Nettie from her.
- Everyone is astonished that Celie actually has some sass in her.
- Celie even says that she has children in Africa, and they’re coming home with Nettie and "all us together on whup your ass." Go Celie.
- Celie can’t stop. She tells Mr.__ that his kids are rotten (which Harpo objects to) and that they all treated her terribly.
- When Mr.__ slaps Celie, she jabs him with her dinner knife.
- Mr.__ tells Celie that people will think badly of her if she runs off to Memphis. Shug says women shouldn’t care what other people think. Grady, however, says a woman can’t get a man if she has a bad reputation.
- All the women in the room find this pretty funny. Shug, Celie, Squeak, and Sofia all laugh.
- As the men try to make their women chill out, Sofia tells Harpo that her youngest child isn’t his. The little girl is named Henrietta and she’s Harpo’s favorite child.
- Mary Agnes decides she’s going to Memphis, too. She wants to sing! Harpo is so surprised and acts just like Mr.__ did when he heard Celie was leaving.
- A knock sounds on the door, interrupting all of the family drama.
- Eleanor Jane, the mayor’s daughter, comes to spill her problems to Sofia. Sofia was such a mother to her, she doesn’t know any different.
- Apparently Eleanor Jane’s family has a lot of problems. Now Sofia has to go back for a couple of hours to try to sort out some mess that they’re in.
- Squeak and Harpo’s little girl, Suzie Q, has taken a real liking to Sofia and doesn’t want Miss Sofia to have to go to they mayor’s house.
- Sofia offers to look after Suzie Q while Squeak is in Memphis singing. Squeak ass Sofia to look after Harpo, too.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search