The Color Purple
by Alice Walker
The Color Purple Letter Seventy-Six Summary
- Celie describes Shug’s beautiful house. Shug has statues, a fountain, and lots of decorations with elephants and turtles all over them (weird).
- Apparently, Shug would like a round house if she could have one. She has to settle for a round bed.
- Shug turns out to be a really good cook. Together, she and Celie feast and drink sweet wine and beer.
- After eating, Shug and Celie go into Shug’s room and snuggle up or read a newspaper.
- From the newspapers that Shug reads aloud, Celie starts to learn more about the wider world. Shug thinks most people out there are crazy.
- Shug heads back to work and is off on the road again, singing.
- Squeak is going around and singing at various clubs lately.
- Celie spend her time making pants. She loves pants now and can’t get enough of them.
- Celie makes pants for everybody—Shug, Squeak, Odessa, and her husband… She makes them special for each person with a goal of making them functional and comfortable.
- Shug creates a business plan for her "sugar." Everybody loves Celie’s pants and it looks like she’s got herself a business.
- Celie is making a pair of pants that Nettie can use in Africa.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...