Common Core Standards: Math
Statistics and Probability 7.SP.C.8
8. Find probabilities of compound events using organized lists, tables, tree diagrams, and simulation.
One day, students will learn to calculate the probability of compound events using formulas. Thankfully, today is not that day.
This standard assures students that compound probabilities are no different from normal probabilities. They should still find the sample space, counting the favorable and total outcomes, and using the trusty probability formula. So what's the deal with the lists, tables, and diagrams? They're all about representing the sample space of an experiment. Students should be able to use those tools—well, whichever tool is best to use given the context—to lay out the sample space.
There isn't much to this standard that isn't covering by the sub-standards, so let's hop to 'em!
- CAHSEE Math 3.2 Mathematical Reasoning
- CAHSEE Math 3.2 Number Sense
- CAHSEE Math 6.3 Algebra and Functions
- CAHSEE Math 6.3 Algebra I
- CAHSEE Math 6.3 Mathematical Reasoning
- CAHSEE Math 6.3 Measurement and Geometry
- CAHSEE Math 6.3 Number Sense
- CAHSEE Math 6.3 Statistics, Data, and Probability I
- CAHSEE Math 6.3 Statistics, Data, and Probability II
- Disjoint and Overlapping Events