Coriolanus Act 3, Scene 3 Summary
- Coriolanus shows up at the marketplace ready to deliver the big apology. The plebeians, along with Sicinius and Brutus, are waiting for him.
- First, Menenius reminds everyone that Coriolanus is a big war hero with the scars to prove it.
- The tribunes decide it's time to pounce and waste no time provoking Coriolanus.
- Sicinius officially accuses him of acting like a big old tyrant and a traitor, which—big shock—sends Coriolanus into yet another rage.
- Coriolanus proceeds to insult the tribunes and plebeians, daring them to punish him with exile, death, or torture.
- Meanwhile, his senator buddies can only stand by and watch this train wreck unfold.
- Finally, the tribunes declare that Coriolanus is banned from Rome 4EVA.
- Coriolanus is all "Oh yeah? I don't think so. You're not banishing me. I'm banishing you!" (Um, okay.)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search