Cite This Page
Coriolanus Act 4, Scene 2 Summary Page 1
- Back at the marketplace, Sicinius and Brutus tell the plebeians that the show's over and that they should all stop rioting and go on home now.
- Sicinius and Brutus both decide that now that they have successfully booted Coriolanus out of Rome, they should pretend to be "humbler" so people won't get mad at them.
- Speaking of angry people, Volumnia and Valeria show up.
- Since Sicinius and Brutus don't want to tangle with Coriolanus' mom, they try to high tail it out of there.
- Too late. Volumnia spots them and says "O ye are well met. The hoarded plague a 'th' gods requite thy love." Translation: "Oh, hey guys. I hope you both die a horrible death!"
- Sicinius is all "Gee, that's not a very ladylike thing to say."
- Clever insults are traded.
- Volumnia proceeds to chew out the tribunes, who blow her off by suggesting that she's crazy.
- They leave.