When authors refer to other great works, people, and events, it’s usually not accidental. Put on your super-sleuth hat and figure out why.
Major Literary Sources
Shout-Outs to Elizabethan Politics and Culture
- English Food Riots of 1607 (1.1)
- Fires built on the frozen River Thames in January 1608 (1.1)
Literary and Philosophical References
- Penelope from Homer's Odyssey (1.3)
- Cato the Censor, ancient Roman moralist (1.4)
- Galen, ancient Greek physician (2.1)
- King Tarquin, ancient Roman king (2.2)
- Hecuba, Queen of Troy (1.3)
- Hector, Hecuba's son (1.3)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...