Corporations & Stocks
Discussion & Essay Questions
Available to teachers only as part of the Corporations & StocksTeacher Pass
Corporations & Stocks Teacher Pass includes:
- Assignments & Activities
- Reading Quizzes
- Current Events & Pop Culture articles
- Discussion & Essay Questions
- Challenges & Opportunities
- Related Readings in Literature & History
Sample of Discussion & Essay Questions
- Should the only purpose of a corporation be to maximize return for shareholders? Why or why not?
- If there are other responsibilities of a corporation, what should they be?
- Name three corporations you admire and explain why you admire them.
- Research Yahoo!, a corporation famous for making missteps in the last five years. What did they do wrong?
- Read Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway's CEO letters from 10 years ago and today. What themes are the same? What has changed?
- Research Google stock. What is its value today compared to one year ago? Do you think Google's stock is fairly priced?
- Research The Washington Post Company's ownership structure. They have two classes of stock, one of which has super voting, meaning one class of shareholders has more say than the other class. Do you think this is a smart structure? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this structure?
- If you had $1,000, would you invest it in Facebook or General Motors? Why or why not?
- Imagine you are starting a company that makes footballs. What are the different types of corporate structures available to you? Which would you choose and why?
- Look up Fortune's most admired corporations. Based on what criteria is a corporation admired? Do you agree with these criteria? Do you agree that the companies selected are in fact admirable?