The Count of Monte Cristo
by Alexandre Dumas
The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 103 Summary
- Max is beside himself. The love of his life is dead.
- He bursts into Valentine's room to see her body, and he finds Mr. Villefort there, grieving over his daughter's dead body.
- Villefort doesn't know who Maximilian is, and he tells him to scram.
- Maximilian does, but then he goes to Noirtier and carries Noirtier into Valentine's room.
- Max tells Mr. Villefort that he is in love and has been in love with Valentine for a very long time.
- Mr. Villefort feels sorry for Max.
- Max tells everyone that they must seek revenge on Valentine's murder.
- Noirtier suggests that he knows who the murderer is, but he asks for everyone but his son (Villefort Sr.) to leave the room.
- Then, Noirtier and Villefort ask everyone to keep the murder under wraps for the time being.
- Abbé Busoni is asked to come pray over Valentine's body.
- The Count-disguised-as-Abbé-Busoni is left alone in Valentine's room with Noirtier. He tells Noirtier what's up.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...