The Count of Monte Cristo
Cite This Page
The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 104 Summary Page 1
- Monte Cristo goes to Danglars's house, where Danglars is writing five checks for one million francs each.
- The checks are meant to go to the hospital, but the Count asks Danglars for the checks for himself (remember the Count has an unlimited credit account with Danglars).
- Danglars gives the Count the checks totaling five million francs. He doesn't admit that he is broke and can't be giving loans anymore.
- As the Count leaves, the head of the hospital (the Commissioner of Hospitals) arrives looking for his money.
- Danglars tells him he just gave it to a dude who will return the money soon. He tells the Commissioner of Hospitals that he will have his five million francs first thing tomorrow.
- But, really, Danglars plans to leave town that night. He has so much debt, there's no way he can pay it all off.