The Count of Monte Cristo
The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 108 Summary
- Villefort has been getting ready for Benedetto's trial. Today is the day Benedetto's case is tried in court.
- Before he leaves for court, Villefort tells his wife that he knows she is the one who murdered his first wife's parents (the Marquis and Marquise de Saint-Méran).
- Villefort tells her that he won't turn her in to the authorities, because that would only make him look bad too.
- Instead, Villefort tells her to kill herself.
- If she is not dead by the time he returns from court, Villefort swears to turn her into the authorities and have her publicly killed.