The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 116 Summary
- Danglars asks to talk to Luigi Vampa who tells him that he is operating under someone else's orders to imprison Danglars. Vampa says he can't do much about the food.
- Trying to survive in his jail cell, Luigi uses almost all of his money up ordering food.
- He has 50,000 francs left and decides to save his money by not ordering anymore food.
- Days pass and he gets really, really hungry.
- Danglars cries out in agony asking for help, and a voice responds.
- The voice sounds very familiar to Danglars.
- The voice is that of the Count of Monte Cristo who reveals himself to be Edmond Dantès.
- Dantès asks Danglars if he asks for forgiveness for all of the bad things he has done in his life.
- Danglars repents, and the Count forgives him.
- Dantès lets Danglars go free, and Danglars is deposited by the side of a road.
- Danglars crawls to a stream and sees that his hair is completely white, probably from the agony of imprisonment and from the shock of seeing a ghost from his past.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...