The Count of Monte Cristo
by Alexandre Dumas
The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 26 Summary
The Pont du Gard Inn
- Now it gets really interesting, folks. Edmond pretends to be an Italian priest named Abbé Busoni.
- He's back in Marseilles, and he's got revenge on the brain.
- Remember Caderousse? Edmond visits Caderousse's inn disguised as the Italian priest, and he pretends he's the executor (or dude-in-charge-of) Edmond Dantès's will.
- Caderousse and his wife are really poor. Times are hard.
- Edmond-disguised-as-Abbé-Busoni fibs to everyone that Edmond Dantès has died in prison, but that he has left a single diamond to be split between the people that he loved most: his padre, his girlfriend Mercédès, Caderousse, Danglers (whaa?), and Fernand (double whaaa?).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...