The Count of Monte Cristo
by Alexandre Dumas
The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 49 Summary
- The Count has a beautiful Greek slave named Haydée who we met before in Rome (she was on his arm at the opera).
- This beautiful lady lives in luxurious rooms in the Count's house.
- The Count tells Haydée that she is now a free woman and can go and do whatever she wants to do.
- Haydée is all, "but I want to serve you; I don't ever want to leave."
- The Count tells encourages her to go explore the world and be a free woman, but he makes her promises never to tell anyone about her little secret, the secret of her birth (hmmmmm…).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...