The Count of Monte Cristo
Cite This Page
The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 50 Summary Page 1
The Morrel Family
- The Count pays a visit to Max Morrel (Mr. Morrel Sr.'s son).
- Max is currently staying at his sister, Julie's house. Remember that Julie and Emmanuel Herbault (one of Mr. Morrel Sr.'s former employees) are married.
- This is a very happy, cheery household. The Count is really moved by how much love and joy he finds there.
- Max and Julie discuss the anonymous benefactor who changed their father's life and who saved their family.
- The Count says that he thinks he knows who the benefactor was – he believes the benefactor was a man by the name of Lord Wilmore from England.
- Max says that his father believes that the unknown benefactor was that of Edmond Dantès, or perhaps the ghost or spirit of Edmond Dantès.
- The Count's feathers are ruffled by this; he's a bit overcome with emotion.
- He bows out of the happy scene quickly.