The Count of Monte Cristo
by Alexandre Dumas
The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 53 Summary
Robert le Diable
- Once again, it's opera time. The Count and Haydée arrive in style and everyone's eyes are on them.
- The Count pays a visit to the Danglars's box at the opera (frequent opera-goers and wealthy families often own a whole section of seats at the opera). He chats them up, along with Fernand, Albert, and Eugénie, who are also there.
- Down below, Haydée sees something and practically passes out from what she has seen.
- The Count leaves the Danglars's box and returns to Haydée.
- Haydée tells him that she caught sight of Fernand, the man who sold her into slavery and who turned her father over to the Turks.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...