The Count of Monte Cristo
The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 54 Summary
A Flurry in Stocks
- Albert and Lucien Debray (Mrs. Danglars's lover) visit the Count's house.
- Albert is not too excited by the prospect of marrying Eugénie Danglars. He thinks she's too smart and not girly enough for him. Plus, his mom, Mercédès, doesn't want to be tied to the Danglars family, and Albert doesn't want to upset his mother in any way shape or form.
- Then the topic of conversation shifts to Lucien's lover (Mrs. Danglars) who likes to gamble with her husband's money by playing the stock market, as it were.
- Albert teases about this, but Lucien gets a little moody.
- The Count realizes that Lucien (a government official) gives Mrs. Danglars lots of important and confidential information about the stocks that he absolutely should not be giving to anyone.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search