The Count of Monte Cristo
The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 57 Summary
In the Lucerne Patch
- Love is complicated. Especially when you're not in love.
- Max (Morrel) and Valentine (Villefort) are at it again; they are secretly chatting in the garden like Romeo and Juliet.
- Max tells Valentine that her betrothed, Franz, is headed to Paris soon.
- Valentine tells him that she can't not marry Franz; she can't bear to disobey her dad.
- Valentine's stepmom, Mrs. Villefort, wants her to become a nun so that she can't inherit all of the wealth she's going to inherit from her dad. Mrs. Villefort wants her son, Edward, to inherit everything instead. She's really urging Valentine to consider life in a convent.
- The two also discuss Eugénie Danglars. You see, Eugénie wants to marry Albert as much as he wants to marry her, which is to say, not at all.
- Eugénie wants to be a bohemian, an artist – free and in charge of her own life.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...