The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 58 Summary
M. Noirtier de Villefort
- As Max and Valentine are chit-chatting it up, Villefort and his wife go to visit Villefort's dad, Noirtier, in his secret rooms.
- Remember that Noirtier has had a terrible stroke. He is deaf and blind. Only Villefort, Noirtier's servant Barrois, and Valentine know how to communicate with Noirtier.
- Noirtier LOVES his granddaughter, Valentine. He dotes on her. She loves him with all her heart.
- When Villefort and his wife tell Noirtier that Valentine is engaged to Franz, the son of his sworn enemy, he goes ballistic.
- Valentine goes to comfort her grandfather and communicates that she's as excited by the idea of marrying Franz as he is.
- Noirtier promises to help her get out of this hair-brained marriage scheme.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...