The Count of Monte Cristo
The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 61 Summary
How a Gardener May Get Rid of the Dormice
- The Count finds a telegraph office and convinces (with money) the telegraph dude to send a made-up telegraph.
- Lucien Debray (Mrs. Danglars's lover) visits her to tell her that he has confidential information that there is about to be a revolution in Spain. He discovered this news via a particular telegraph report (ahem) that he got wind of (being the powerful government agent that he is).
- Lucien Debray tells Mrs. Danglars to sell all of her Spanish bonds. She does.
- The world is in uproar with the news of revolution in Spain; that is, until newspapers report that the news is false – there actually is no revolution in Spain.
- The Danglars lose a LOT of money.