The Count of Monte Cristo
by Alexandre Dumas
The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 71 Summary
Bread and Salt
- Mercédès tries to persuade the Count to come with her to the garden and eat some of the fruit there, but the Count refuses.
- Mercédès gets annoyed, "are you my friend or what?"
- The Count assures her he is her friend, and then they talk about their past in a vague way. They still don't acknowledge that they were once madly in love with one another, or that they know who the Count really is.
- Then, Mr. Villefort shows up looking for Mrs. Villefort and Valentine.
- Villefort's former wife's (the one who died really young) father-in-law, the Marquis de Saint-Méran, has just died.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...