The Count of Monte Cristo
Cite This Page
The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 77 Summary Page 1
- After being treated so coldly by Mr. Danglars, Albert and the Count leave the Danglars and go to the Count's house.
- Albert knows what's up – Danglars doesn't want him to marry Eugénie anymore; he wants Andrea to marry her.
- Albert asks to meet Haydée, the Count's beautiful servant.
- The Count agrees, but he tells Albert not to bring up her father, Ali Pasha. Her father, he tells Albert, once ruled the Greek state of Yanina until he was betrayed by his right-hand-man (a French guy) to the Turks. The Turks destroyed his kingdom, killed Ali Pacha, and Haydée and her mother were sold into slavery.
- The Count doesn't tell Albert that the French dude who ruined Ali Pacha and who sold Haydée and her mom into slavery is none other than Albert's dad, Fernand.