The Count of Monte Cristo
by Alexandre Dumas
The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 78 Summary
We Hear From Yanina
- Franz sends Villefort a letter telling him the marriage to Valentine is off.
- Noirtier rigs his will again to state that he will leave everything he has and owns to his granddaughter, Valentine, as long as she is never separated from him.
- Fernand visits the Danglars to firm up the details of his son's (Albert) marriage to Eugénie, but Danglars tells him that the marriage is off – he has different plans for Eugénie but doesn't say what they are.
- Beauchamp's newspaper runs a teensy little article which tells the story of Ali Pasha, saying that the Greek ruler had been ruined by a man named Fernand.
- Albert goes crazy when he reads this article, thinking that someone is trying to ruin his father by connecting him to this Ali Pasha situation.
- Though the Count tries to tell Albert to cool, Albert threatens Beauchamp, telling him that if he doesn't remove Albert from that article and apologize, Albert will face him in a duel.
- Beauchamp asks for three weeks to really investigate the story further.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...