The Count of Monte Cristo
The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 83 Summary
The Hand of God
- After Benedetto stabs Caderousse (just as the Count knew he would), Abbé Busoni brings the wounded Caderousse into his house and makes him sign a document stating that Benedetto is indeed his murderer.
- Abbé Busoni tries to make Caderousse ask for God's forgiveness for all of the evil, cruel, horrible things he has done in his life, but Caderousse won't budge.
- Then, Abbé Busoni tells Caderousse that he is really Edmond Dantès, the man whose life he ruined so many years before in Marseilles, and Caderousse is thoroughly shocked.
- Caderousse then realizes that there is a higher power and divine justice in the world.
- Caderousse dies.
- The police search for Benedetto.