The Count of Monte Cristo
by Alexandre Dumas
The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 89 Summary
A Nocturnal Interview
- Mercédès is now really scared about this duel.
- She visits the Count, and the Count shows her the document Fernand sent the police so many years before, falsely accusing Edmond Dantès of a crime he did not commit.
- Mercédès is completely undone, she pleads for the Count's forgiveness, and she clearly still loves Edmond Dantès with every fiber of her being.
- She asks the Count to spare her son's life at the duel the next day.
- The Count is melted by Mercédès display of love and affection, and he agrees to spare her son's life. But the duel must go on (it is a question of honor and reputation), and so the only possible solution is that he, the Count, must die the next day.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...