The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 97 Summary
The Departure for Belgium
- The party being crashed by police, the guests decide it's time to go.
- Eugénie and her friend/music teacher Louise decide to run away together to Italy where they will make music and live the artist's life. They will travel to Italy via Belgium.
- They talk about how much they hate men.
- They decide to leave that night. Eugénie will disguise herself as a man so that they can be super-sneaky.
- Louise is starting to get scared by the whole idea, but Eugénie is excited.
- Eugénie chops her hair off and dresses like a man.
- The two ladies pack their things and leave town in a carriage.