Grammar Rules III
Semicolons, hyphens, and quotation marks galore!
In Grammar Rules I, you stalwart Shmoopers conquered the 7th-grade Common Core Language Standards, getting groovy with parts of speech, clauses, subject-verb agreement, and all that other stuff that makes for great dinner party conversation. In Grammar Rules II, things got more complicated as you met verbals, voice, mood, and other 8th-grade Common Core Language Standards.
In our finale, designed to meet the 9th- through 12th-grade Common Core Language Standards, you'll clinch your mastery of grammar and use it to write some pretty prose.
With Shmoop's lesson plans, readings, and activities, you'll tackle
- variety in sentence structure.
- types of phrases (e.g. adjectival, adverbial, participial, absolute).
- advanced clause writing.
- descriptive vs. prescriptive ideas about language.
- conquering common mistakes (e.g. who/whom).
- advanced punctuating: colons, semicolons, hyphens, quotations, commas.
Unit 1. Grammar Rules III
This short course covers advanced grammar concepts so you'll be ready to prose it up with the best of 'em. With lessons on semicolons, hyphens, quotation marks, sentence variety, and more, you'll be the master of all things Grade 9-12 Common Core.