Crime and Punishment
Crime and Punishment Part 6, Chapter 3 Summary
- Looking for Svidrigaïlov, Raskolnikov (in typical fashion) argues with himself about whether to seek out the man or not.
- Did Svidrigaïlov rat him out to Porfiry? Not likely.
- He feels like Svidrigaïlov has something he needs, but he can't imagine what.
- Visiting Sonia comes into his mind. He's scared of everybody right now, including her. No, better to check out Svidrigaïlov first.
- He wonders to himself why Svidrigaïlov is helping Katerina's children. Will he blackmail Dounia into something awful, by threatening to turn in Raskolnikov?
- He thinks of the mysterious letter Dounia received. Was it from Luzhin? Svidrigaïlov?
- If Svidrigaïlov is messing with Dounia, Raskolnikov will kill him. That much he knows.
- He comes upon a huge bar and sees Svidrigaïlov in there, smoking a pipe. Fear strikes him.
- Raskolnikov and Svidrigaïlov both pretend they haven't seen each other and look at each other out of the corners of their eyes.
- Their eyes meet. Svidrigaïlov seems amused and asks Raskolnikov to join him.
- A bottle of champagne is on Svidrigaïlov's table. A little boy plays the organ and a young girl, Katia, sings.
- They stop when Svidrigaïlov tells them. He appears to pay them by giving Katia champagne to drink (but maybe they already got paid). Then the two street kids leave.
- Raskolnikov tells Svidrigaïlov that he was looking for him, but doesn't know why he came to this spot.
- Svidrigaïlov says he told Raskolnikov to meet him here. Doesn't he remember?
- He doesn't. Svidrigaïlov says the information got stuck in Raskolnikov's brain and led him here, even though Raskolnikov doesn't consciously remember.
- Frustrated with the guy already, Raskolnikov tells him to say what he needs to say.
- Svidrigaïlov wants to chat for a while.
- What are you doing in St. Petersburg? Raskolnikov asks him.
- Chasing women, he admits.
- Disgusted, Raskolnikov says taking advantage of women is a "disease."
- Changing the subject, Svidrigaïlov says they should hurry – he has to meet "a woman" in an hour. Raskolnikov gets irritated and feels trapped. He gets up to leave.
- Uh oh. That's not in Svidrigaïlov's plan. He quickly brings up Dounia. He wants to tell Raskolnikov how Dounia tried "to save" him.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search