Crime and Punishment
Cite This Page
Rodion Romanovitch Raskolnikov Timeline and Summary
- Raskolnikov goes to the pawnbroker's house to rehearse a terrible, but undisclosed, plan he has.
- Afterward he goes to a bar and meets Marmeladov, who tells him about Sonia.
- He helps Marmeladov home, and leaves money on the windowsill to help the desperate family.
- The next day he gets a letter from his mother explaining the whole Svidrigaïlov mess and breaking the news that Dounia is engaged to Pyotr Petrovitch Luzhin. It also announces her impending arrival in St. Petersburg.
- Enraged, he vows to stop the marriage, but feels powerless to do so. He finds himself at Razumihin's, but doesn't go up.
- It's clear that he plans to kill the pawnbroker and steal her money.
- After drinking vodka, he falls asleep in some bushes and has a terrible dream about a horse being beaten.
- When he wakes up, he decides not to kill the old woman after all.
- But, when he learns Lizaveta won't be home on the day and time he planned, he changes his mind.
- He steals an axe and puts his plan into action. He kills the pawnbroker.
- Since he forgot to lock the door and took too long to depart, Lizaveta walks in on the bloody scene.
- So, she gets the axe, too.
- The he goes home and falls asleep, but keeps waking up and trying to hide evidence.
- He is summoned to the police station about a debt to his landlady. While there, he hears about the murder and faints.
- Afterwards, he hides the items he stole from the pawnbroker under a big rock.
- He is sick for a few days and, when he wakes up, he has new clothes – courtesy of Razumihin and money from mom.
- Luzhin comes over and Raskolnikov threatens him.
- At the Crystal Palace he meets Zametov and confesses to the murders, but says he is just kidding.
- Afterwards, he finds Marmeladov dying in the street, having been run over by a horse-drawn carriage. He helps him home.
- There he sees Sonia for the first time and gives Katerina all his money for the funeral.
- When he gets home, Dounia and Pulcheria are waiting for him.
- Not being able to deal with them, he gets Razumihin to take care of them and goes to sleep.
- He's doing better the next day and, when his mom, sis, and Razumihin arrive, he's showered and wearing his new clothes. He's nice and apologetic to everybody.
- After reading Luzhin's letter to Dounia, he agrees to go to his mother and sister's rooms for their meeting with him.
- With Razumihin, he visits Porfiry and learns that his article about crime was published in a journal.
- He begins to hate and fear Porfiry, though he is unsure if the man suspects him.
- After a weird man calls him a murderer, Raskolnikov wakes up to find Svidrigaïlov in his room.
- Svidrigaïlov has money for Dounia from Marfa, but he also wants to see her, to give her even more money. But Raskolnikov says "no" on all counts.
- Raskolnikov attends the dinner with Luzhin and is happy, because Dounia finally sees that the man is a creep.
- After the dinner, Raskolnikov tells everybody to leave him alone until he looks for them, because he has important stuff to do.
- Then he goes to Sonia's, is rather rude to her, and promises to soon return with information on Lizaveta's killer.
- The next day he goes to Porfiry's office, to file a report on the items he left with the pawnbroker, and is interrogated by Porfiry.
- They are interrupted by Nikolay, who confesses to the murders.
- Raskolnikov attends Marmeladov's funeral dinner. He later goes to Sonia's and reveals himself to be the murderer.
- Afterwards, Dounia comes to visit him and he tells her he wants her to marry Razumihin.
- After this, he joins Sonia on the street and tries to help her get Katerina and the kids into a safe place.
- At Sonia's, after Katerina dies, Svidrigaïlov tells Raskolnikov that he heard him confess to Sonia.
- Eventually, he meets Svidrigaïlov in a bar and learns that the man really is a child molester and abuser of women.
- He tries to follow him, but loses him.
- Meanwhile, he goes back to Sonia, saying he's ready to turn himself in to the cops, which he does.
- He's sentenced to eight years in a Siberian prison.
- At first he seems like the same old conflicted guy, but after being sick and recovering, he begins to see Sonia with new eyes. He feels love, and begins to change.