Crime and Punishment
Cite This Page
Sonia (Sofya Semyonovna Marmeladov) Timeline and Summary
- We first meet Sonia the night Marmeladov dies.
- Soon after, she visits Raskolnikov in his room to invite him to the funeral, and meets Dounia, Pulcheria, and Razumihin.
- After leaving his place, she is followed by Svidrigaïlov, who happens to have rented a room right next to hers.
- He introduces himself to her, but she doesn't talk to him.
- Raskolnikov visits her and says he knows who killed Lizaveta.
- The day of the funeral, she is called to Pyotr Petrovitch Luzhin's room. He gives her ten roubles.
- At the funeral dinner, she's accused by Luzhin of stealing, but Andrey Semyonovitch defends her.
- She runs home, followed by Raskolnikov.
- Andrey Semyonovitch interrupts them to let her know that Katerina is on the street, with the children, begging and making a scene.
- She hurries to the scene, and tries to get Katerina off the street.
- When Katerina collapses on the street, Sonia has her taken to her room, where she dies.
- Raskolnikov visits soon after and confesses to the murder.
- Sonia says he needs to fall down before God and confess and then turn himself in. She promises to stand by him while he's in jail.
- Svidrigaïlov visits her and convinces her to take a large amount of money to help her and Raskolnikov make it while on the prison scene.
- Finally, Raskolnikov is ready. He comes to her and she gives him Lizaveta's cross to wear.
- She follows him to the police station and, when he comes out, obviously not having confessed, she uses tormented facial expressions and hand gestures to urge him back into the building.
- Soon, she follows him to Siberia, where she corresponds with Dounia and Razumihin by letter.
- She finds popularity and acceptance in the prison community, but Raskolnikov is still cold and mean to her.
- But, he soon sees the error of his ways. Real love for her is awakened in his heart, which makes her extremely happy.