Cry, the Beloved Country
Cite This Page
Cry, the Beloved Country Chapter 13 Summary Page 1
- Kumalo and Msimangu head over to the house for the blind at Ezenzeleni.
- There, Kumalo sits under a tree and thinks about Absalom and his future grandchild.
- He decides that it can't be possible that his son actually killed this white man, Arthur Jarvis, even though it's definitely starting to look that way.
- Ever the hopeful guy, Kumalo thinks he and his wife can still rebuild their family back in Ndotsheni.
- But then he realizes that "the tribe was broken" (13.14) and will never be fixed again. Welp, that's a big ol' bummer if Shmoop's ever seen one.
- His mope fest is interrupted when Msimangu calls Kumalo in to see the facility at Ezenzeleni. Blind people work there making baskets, which Kumalo finds impressive and empowering.
- As he listens to Msimangu preach to these people, Kumalo feels uplifted by Msimangu's message of hope and faith in God.