Cry, the Beloved Country
Cry, the Beloved Country Chapter 17 Summary
- Kumalo asks Mrs. Lithebe if there is anywhere nearby for Absalom's girl to stay.
- Mrs. Lithebe offers to take her in, but she'll have to sleep on the floor of the living room.
- While he's glad to add a new member to the family, Kumalo can't help but notice that his money is starting to get tight.
- At the prison, Absalom tells Kumalo that the two men who were with him during the burglary are swearing that they weren't there.
- Absalom is super grateful that Kumalo is arranging for a lawyer and that he will be able to marry his (still nameless!) girlfriend even while he is in jail.
- Back at the Mission House, Kumalo meets with a lawyer named Mr. Carmichael, who agrees to take Absalom's case for free.
- He thinks it's super important that Kumalo confirms Absalom's account of what happened: that be broke into the house with these two other dudes, that Arthur Jarvis surprised him in the middle of a burglary, and that Absalom fired the gun at Arthur Jarvis by accident—out of fear.
- While Kumalo's busy doing that, Mr. Carmichael will do his own research.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search